This was an idea I came up with when I purchased a New "GT Sensor" mountain bike. It had been 10 yrs since my last new bike and this new one had so much new technology.
The "dropper seatpost" (KS LEV Integra) impressed me.
Here are 2 links to some great Dropper Posts: www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-dropper-post-a-buyers-guide-49104/ .
I had never used one before and it looked vulnerable to damage from rocks & mud. I had seen other types of "Protection", for posts like a neoprene sock type " Protector" or piece of old inner tube which can trap moisture, it also doesn't allow "Full Travel" of post.
We at 100%Carbon Ltd thought that " Preventative Maintenance" was priority with this "Seat Post".
We made a No1 prototype "Post Guard" out of a Piece of Marley spouting & the neck of a 3 litre juice bottle. This worked very well and we liked the action of the "Post Guard".
We decided to go further and approached an expert in the" Carbon fibre" industry who lives locally.
Craig Stirling at "C6skis"( He helped build Americas cup boats) was able to make a No2 prototype for us which we tested out & had great success with the way it worked. The "Post Guard" you can buy now is copied off prototype No3.
On one of my test rides I rode through some sticky mud then straight onto loose gravel. The next thing I heard was gravel hitting our " Post Guard" & I thought thank goodness for the "Post Guard".
One of the quickest ways for Mud & Water to get inside your "Dropper Post" is a chip in the post. The chip will hold the mud & water then when the seat is lowered the dirt & water in the chip go straight past the seals into the Guts of the Dropper Post. This is like grinding paste & will quickly destroy your $$$ (expensive) post. "Post Guard" will prevent stone chips.
This "Post Guard" will help prevent Dropper Post Problems from starting.
- Crafted from 100% CARBON fibre & also now in Plastic .
- Weight-almost nothing
- Made specifically for Dropper Posts Will fit nearly all "Full Suspension Bikes"
- Will fit SOME Hardtails if seatstays are spaced wide apart.
- No trapped moisture or mud like some other systems
- Full travel of Post
- Fits to all posts up to 150mm easily, up to 170mm on some bikes.
- Impact resistant
- Easy installation
- Excess mud build up is automatically removed when seat is lowered.
- The 100%CARBON & Plastic models look great & you can still see your trick Post.
- Postguard was reviewed by NZMTBR magazine (Aug/Sep 2017 )
- All models are designed & manufactured in NZ for 100%CARBON ltd
- Delivery in NZ & Australia is free & all mail goes via Hamilton(NZ) Post centre.
- Overseas orders welcome also.
- Price -NZD $89.99 GST included . Plastic version coming soon Inquire below
1971 XY Ford Falcon